Safety and Health Specialist
He has over 20 years of experience with environmental health and safety consulting projects. His background includes analysis of depositions and trial testimony records for cases associated with workplace health, safety, and environmental concerns, as well as property assessment/records review, and Phase I environmental site assessments. He has researched the health and safety regulations concerning a variety of contaminants, including asbestos, lead, coal tars and volatile chemicals. He is well-versed in the requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), the American Industrial Hygiene Association, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), the Association for Testing and Materials (ASTM), and numerous other federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines affecting environmental health and safety. He develops and implements safety and health programs and trains anything OSHA including OSHA Construction 10 and 30 hour certificate classes. He has also completed numerous construction audits and understands OSHA related construction regulations as well as local Maryland regulations (MOSH).
Recent project experience includes:
• Site Safety Manager for the 486 Pipe Fitters Union. Installation of Ammonia piping at the North Laurel, MD, ice cream plant for refrigeration.
• Director of Safety and Security for Perdue at their Salisbury, MD plant.
• Written Programs for Clients - Steel Erection Policies have included but not limited to Crane Safety, Structural Stability, Training (most important), Overhead Hazards, Fall Protection, Metal Buildings Audits, Walking Working Surfaces, Connectors, Slip Resistant Flooring, Structural Steel Assembly, Column Anchorage, beams and Columns, Open Web Steel Joists, Decking Zones, Understanding Criteria for Fall Protection Equipment, Custody of Fall Protection, Special Training in Lift Hazards, Connecting and Controlled Decking Zones. Of Course other programs including site safety i.e. Potable Water, First Aid, Port a Pots, Government Signage.
• State of Maryland – Safety Compliance Officer. Included Safety Responsibilities for Bridge Construction, Ponds, Demolition of Buildings on State Highway Property and Sound Barrier Construction. Training – Crane Operations including lifts, Rigging and Hoisting and Sling Safety.
• WorkSafe Construction Clients – Develop and Implement Safety and Health Programs including Contractor Safety Programs which included review of their specific site safety regulations, Train and Audit. Develop Risk Assessments and JSA’s. Provide Crain Safety (also Fall Protection, Rigging and Hoisting, Sling Safety and Inspection) including understanding of Partial Steel and Pre-Fabricated Concrete Parking Garages. Safety and Industrial Hygiene Responsibilities (Noise Dosimetry and Mixing Grout). Conducted Orientations for New Employees. OSHA 10 and 30 Hour Construction Trainer.
• Site Safety Manager (WorkSafe) – for Steamfitters Union. Industrial Hygiene Responsibilities including Noise Dosimetry and Welding. Orientations for Safety. Responsible for Tool Box Talks and OSHA Training Topics Once a Month. Also Responsible for Site Audits and Daily Walkthrough Inspections. Responsible for Crane Lifts and all Fall Protection.
• Trained Accident Investigation to the Pentagon
• Trained LockOut/TagOut to Smith and Wesson employees.
• Trained Emergency Response and Completed Certificates in 24-Hour HAZWOPER Technician/HAZWOPER Train-the-Trainer and Incident Command.
• Construction Safety Audits/Inspections also Development and Implementation of Safety and Health Programs and Training (Also accomplished above for other industries).
• Litigation Client – Analyzed and categorized safety and health programs elements for arbitration case involving hazard differential pay pertaining to asbestos. These safety and program elements were then compared to Federal regulations.
• Litigation Client - Assessed worker chemical exposures in Spinpack and Extrusion Operations for a facility producing synthetic yarn as raw material for carpeting manufacture.
• Litigation Client - Assessed paint and fume exposures of men working in enclosed railroad cars.
• Litigation Client - Analyzed, categorized, and compared results of cases involving allegations of leukemia caused by exposure to asbestos-containing materials (ACM’s) in building materials. Compared maintenance and asbestos management practices to existing regulatory standards.
• Litigation Client - Assessed inhalation exposures from pitch impregnated brick.
• Litigation Client - Assessed benzene exposures at battery manufacturing facilities.
• Litigation Client - Assessed asbestos exposures of building maintenance personnel.
• Researched the feasibility of battery manufacturing facilities compliance if a lower manganese standard was set.
• Kaolin Processing Plant - Conducted a chemical evaluation of the flotation process to identify causes of irritation to maintenance workers.
• Assessed worker exposure to specific chemicals in a pesticide formulation plant.
• Conducted personal and area air sampling of asbestos for the aluminum ingot industry at multiple shipping ports.
• Major Gasoline Company - Air monitoring for benzene and total hydrocarbons for tank truck drivers distributing gasoline.
• Major Utility Company - Managed the removal of PCB-contaminated transformers from a construction site where the client was focused on removal as a risk reduction option. Solicited and selected removal contractors, wrote the work contract, and coordinated and scheduled the removal activities.
• State of Maryland - Conducted over 1,000 assessments for lead and asbestos to determine values of various commercial and residential properties. Located and identified sources of contamination, wrote reports for property evaluations, and contacted the state health department if problems were found in residential housing units.
• Department of Energy - Developed lockout/tagout (LO/TO) programs and confined space safety programs in accordance with federal voluntary protection programs for DOE facilities. Worked with senior managers to assess training needs and to develop the programs.
• Aluminum Manufacturing Facility - Conducted a plant-wide air sampling survey to determine levels of lead, mercury, and other smelting process by-products. Also conducted personal and area air sampling for over 20 plant employees.
• Confined space monitoring for survey teams entering manholes on construction sites.
• Manufacturing Facility - Water testing and monitoring at a fortune 500 Corporation.
• Analyzed safety and health program elements for a steel manufacturing company which involved asbestos litigation.
Registrations and Licenses
• OSHA 40-Hour Construction Safety Training, 1997
• Incident Command, 2015
• 24-Hour HAZWOPER Technician, 2015
• HAZWOPER Train-the-Trainer, 2015
• OSHA Outreach Trainer Construction (10 and 30 Hour) (thru 2019)
• AHERA Asbestos Inspector, 2016
• AHERA Asbestos Risk Manager, 2016
• Lead Inspector Technician, 2000
• I will sit for the ASP Exam Spring, 2018
• First Aid, AED and CPR Trainer, 2017
• Catonsville Community College, Catonsville, Maryland
Safety and Health Certificate, 1996
• The University of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
M.B.A., Marketing Concentration, 1986
• Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio
B.A., English, 1983
Additional Academic Activities / Honors
• OSHA Construction S & H Certificate, May 1995
• Courses in Safety & Health:
o Occupational Safety and Health Management
o Occupational Safety and Health Standards
o Construction Safety and Health
o Hazard Recognition and Control
o Industrial Hygiene
o Safety and Health Management Analysis
o Fire Protection
• Elected to Honor Society, Sigma Iota Epsilon, University of Baltimore, 1985
• RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Safety and Health Specialist, 2018 to present.
• Campany Roof Maintenance & Campany Roof Maintenance
Roofing Division, West Palm Beach, Florida Director of Safety,
5/8/2017 to 11/8/2017
• Nestle Corporation/IRS, Site Safety Manager Contract
Safety for Steam Fitters Union, March 28, 2016 – November 2016
• Perdue Farms/Salisbury Plant, Salisbury, Maryland
Safety and Security Manager, 8/3/15 – 1/11/16
• Safety and Industrial Hygiene Consulting
Vice President/Owner, April 17, 2009-present
• State of Maryland, Safety Compliance Officer
October 22, 2008 – March 17, 2009
• Morton Corn & Associates, Queenstown, MD, Health and Safety Specialist
Litigation Support/Retrospective Exposure Analysis/Office Manager
September 1, 2003-Present
(Morton Corn was head of OSHA under the Ford Administration.)
• Shaw Environmental and Infrastructure, Knoxville, TN, Industrial Hygienist
Contractor/Consultant to Kirk U.S. Army Health Clinic
September 30, 2002 to August 29, 2003
(Equivalent to GS-12 for 1 year)
• Morton Corn & Associates, Baltimore, Maryland, Health and Safety Specialist
April 1, 1999 to September 29, 2002
• Clayton Environmental Consultants, Inc., Kennesaw, Georgia
Industrial Hygienist, Environmental Health and Safety
1997 March 1999
• Morton Corn & Associates, Baltimore, Maryland, Health and Safety Specialist
• R.J. Lee Group, Monroeville, Pennsylvania, Assistant Project Coordinator
• Compa Industries, Inc., Gaithersburg, Maryland, Technical Specialist
• Property Tax Reduction Specialists, Westminster, Maryland, Vice President
1992 to 1993
• State of Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation, Property Assessment Officer, 1988 to 1992
• Altra Auto Rental, Glen Burnie, Maryland, Manager Trainee
1986 to 1987
• Baltimore Gas and Electric Company, Baltimore, Maryland
Assistant Contract Administrator/Field Buyer
Professional Associations and Activities
• American Industrial Hygiene Association
• American Society of Safety Engineers (Vice President Delmarva Chapter)