Nondestructive Testing and Structural Integrity Engineer
He has been active in the Technology of Nondestructive Testing and related Quality and Inspection fields since 1957. During this time, he provided extensive training, consultation and engineering services to a broad range of industries including aerospace, construction, power generation, shipbuilding, chemical, transportation, and others. His special qualifications include radiographic evaluation and failure analysis of aerospace structures, building/bridge structures, pipelines, nuclear/fossil power plant structures, tanks and pressure vessels, and chemical plant structures.
He has provided expert testimony as to his findings in courts of law.
• Nondestructive Testing – major methods covering a broad range of applications and industries.
• Level III Services including preparation of certification programs and resolution of Certification issues.
• Development of NDT procedures and customized application of various methods.
• Lecturer worldwide and presenter of numerous papers.
• Recognized consultant in various technical disciplines.
• Past Authorized Independent Outside Agency Level III for many organizations.
• Educator in NDT and related Quality/Inspection subjects.
• Forensic Examiner in various technical fields.
• B.S., Business Management - Penn State University
• M.S., Metallurgy - Temple University
• M.S., Mechanical Engineer - Norwich State Technical
• Harvard University – Abbreviated Business Management (HSB sponsored)
• Completed extensive training courses on the subject of Nondestructive Testing – List to be provided on request.
• Certified Level III, Visual, Penetrant, Magnetic Particle, Ultrasonic, and Radiographic Testing.
• ASNT Level III Certificate Holder, Visual, Penetrant, Magnetic Particle, Ultrasonic, and Radiographic Testing.
• Registered Professional Engineer
• Board Certified Forensic Examiner
Professional Associations and Activities
• American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Lifetime, Fellow
• ASM International (Formerly American Society for Metals) (ASM) Lifetime
• American Welding Society (AWS)
• American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
• Nondestructive Testing Management Association (NDTMA) Honorary Lifetime
• American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
• American Board of Forensic Examiners (ABFE)
Distinctions and Honors
• Past National President, American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT)
• Past National President, Nondestructive Testing Management Association (NDTMA)
• ASNT Fellow, Class of 1977
• Recipient, ASNT Tutorial Award Citation, 1982
• Rockwell Honor Lecturer, American Society of Metals International, 1984
• Mehl Honor Lecturer, ASNT, 1986
• Phillip D. Johnson Honorary Member Award, ASNT, 1992
• American College of Forensic Examiners, Fellow, 1997
• Robert C. McMaster Gold Medal Award, ASNT, 1999
• Fred Rhode Lifetime Honorary Member, NDTMA, 2005
• National Mentoring Award, ASNT, 2006
• RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Senior Nondestructive Evaluation Engineer, 2006-present.
• Principal and Co-owner, The Summit Group, and Vice President of NDT Classroom, February 2010 – present
The Summit Group offers a broad range of management and technical specialists for short and medium term assignments. TSG also develops and presents a wide range of management seminars for various industries ranging in duration from one to five days. Specific technical training programs and certification/qualifications services are also offered. NDT Classroom develops and markets a series of online training courses on the major methods of Nondestructive Testing.
• Independent Consultant and Senior Manager, HELLIER (part-time), June 2003 – 2010
• Vice President, Rockwood Service Corporation, 2002- 2003
Responsible for business development, providing consultation and engineering services and interfacing with the various divisions of this organization which is currently the largest NDT/Materials Inspection company in North America. Also acts as an independent consultant in the settling of technical disputes.
• President, A Rockwood Company, 1998-2002
Retained the title of President after acquisition by Rockwood Service Corporation. Continued with the management, technical, and fiscal responsibilities for the company including the three training centers. Also provides interaction with the other corporate divisions and has responsibility for the Quality Assurance and certification services division. Provides expert witness and independent NDT consulting services.
• President/CEO, Associates Inc.(HAI), 1986-1998
Founded HAI to provide consultation, qualification, and certification services, initially to clients in the New England area. HAI expanded to include two other locations; Houston, Texas, and Los Angeles, California, ultimately becoming the largest independent company of its’ type in the United States. In 1997, HAI acquired Cramer & Lindell Engineers which added inspection services to its’ capabilities.
• Vice President, Brand Examination Services Company, 1983-1986
As Corporate Level III/Quality Assurance Manager, responsibilities included the management and coordination of the various Quality Services provided by this company which included field and laboratory nondestructive examinations, quality control projects, qualification services and consultation.
• General Manager, NDT Engineering Division, Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company (HSB), 1977-1983
This engagement was a continuation and significant expansion of the NDT Engineering Company, which was acquired by HSB. Services included field and laboratory inspections, qualification and certification agency efforts, consultancy and other engineering and technical activities.
• President, Nondestructive Test Engineering Company, 1973-1977
Founded this company in 1973 to offer training courses in Nondestructive Testing to clients primarily in the Northeast. Activities also included the sales of various NDT instruments and products, and Level III services. Eventually, services were expanded to include NDT field inspections.
• Regional Manager, Automation Industries and XID, 1967-1973
Provided sales and consulting services for these two companies and encountered many challenging applications and projects. Also conducted various custom training courses for a number of clients.
• Supervisor, NDT Engineering, Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corporation, 1962-1967
Supervised NDT engineers and technicians in the development of unique procedures for the examinations of complex systems associated with the construction of nuclear submarines. Responsible for in-plant vendor audits and personnel certifications.
• Supervisor, NDT/Inspection Department, SPS Technologies, 1957-1962
Supervised several departments of technicians who inspected aerospace and nuclear components. Responsible for the training and certification of inspection personnel. Also conducted vendor audits and resolved problems in the field.
• Developed online NDT Training programs under NDT Classroom on the subjects of Visual Testing, Penetrant Testing, Magnetic Particle Testing, Radiographic Testing, Ultrasonic Testing, Eddy Current Testing, Radiation Safety, Introduction to NDT, and Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing, released from April 2012 to present.
• Developed and instructor of the (10) lesson videotape training series “Nondestructive Testing” produced by ASM International
• Developed and primary instructor for the NDT Technology videotape/DVD training series including: Penetrant Testing, Magnetic Particle Testing, Eddy Current Testing, and Fundamentals of Nondestructive Testing.