A professional Metallurgical Engineer having extensive experience in failure analysis and problem solving. His formal education was received at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England where he obtained B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Metallurgy. His doctoral and post-doctoral research interests were in the areas of high temperature gas solid reactions including oxidation and corrosion. As a result of his research efforts he was awarded the 1978 Galloway Medal by the Institution of Corrosion Science and Technology in England.
This expert’s experience and training in metallurgical and corrosion engineering has been the foundation of his career as a consultant to the legal and industrial communities. Early in his career he obtained work experience in the steel making and processing industries at various British Steel Corporation facilities in England. He was Director of Laboratory Operations at Mettek Laboratories in Santa Ana, California, where he supervised laboratory and office staff in all aspects of the failure analysis and research activities of the company. He is also a former Principal Engineer with General Electric (Nuclear Energy Division), where he was involved in numerous projects concerned with materials in nuclear power plants in the U.S. and with joint technology programs with Japanese and European companies. In the course of his consulting activities, this expert has been involved in hundreds of investigations involving materials and components in many applications, including aircraft components, automobiles and other vehicles, tools, pipelines and plumbing, medical implants, chairs, industrial plants, and bicycles.
This expert has extensive testimony experience in both depositions and trials.
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Metallurgy), University of California Berkeley, California, 1980-1982
- Ph.D. – Metallurgy, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England, 1980
- B.Sc. – Metallurgy, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England, 1977
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of California (Metallurgical Engineering)
- Metallurgical Engineering Consultant, RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, 2006-present
- Metallurgical Consultant, private company, 1988-present
- Principal Engineer, GE-Nuclear Energy, 1987-1988
- Associate Consulting Engineer, L. Raymond and Associates, 1985-1987
- Director of Laboratory Operations, METTEK Laboratories, 1982-1985
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow: University of California, Berkeley, 1980-1982
- Apprentice: British Steel Corporation, England, 1974-1975
Professional Associations and Activities
- The Metallurgical Society of AIME (TMS)
- The American Society of Metals (ASM – International)
- Independent Metallurgical Engineering Consultants of California (MECA)
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE – International)
- The American Water Works Association (AWWA)
- The National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- The California Society of Professional Engineers (CPA)
- The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
Awards and Citations
- Galloway Medal, Institution of Corrosion Science and Technology, England, 1978
- G.E. Award to Inventors, 1988
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 1st and 2nd Editions
- Who’s Who in the West, 22nd and 23rd Editions
- Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America, 3rd and 4th Editions
Over ten publications in scientific literature, list available upon request.