Senior Aerospace and Mechanical Engineer specializing in the Thermal Sciences, applied to the areas of flight dynamics and propulsion. His expertise covers the disciplines of aerodynamics, gas dynamics, hydrodynamics, thermodynamics, combustion, heat transfer and fire dynamics. He is a former military pilot who is experienced in all aspects of flight vehicle performance including flight mechanics, gas turbine engines, flight reconstruction, simulation as well as flight and ground testing. He is also a specialist in aircraft, marine, ground vehicle and stationary power applications of gas turbines.
Has taught undergraduates for fourteen years as an Associate Professor of Aerospace Engineering at the United States Naval Academy, as well as at other Universities.
His forensic engineering experience includes a number of gas turbine issues, specifically:
- Westinghouse/Northeast Utilities – involving Turbine blade failure of a Westinghouse W501 industrial gas turbine in a co-generation plant.
- United 232/Sioux City – involving an uncontained General Electric CF6 engine fan disc failure in flight.
- CIT Group Engine Repair Claim – involving a General Electric CF56 engine damaged during improper over road transport for installation.
He has provided expert testimony as to his findings in courts of law and at hearings.
- PhD, Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland, 1984
- M.Sc., Aerodynamics, Cranfield Institute of Technology, UK, 1977
- M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Cranfield Institute of Technology, UK, 1976
- BS, U.S. Naval Academy, 1969
- Senior Aerospace and Mechanical Engineer consultant, RTI Group, LLC (RTI), Annapolis, MD, 2003 - Present.
- Senior Engineer, FTI Corporation, Annapolis, Maryland, 1986 - 2003.
- Associate Professor, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Departments, U.S. Naval Academy, 1979 - 1992.
- United States Marine Corps Aviator, Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor, 1969 - 1978.
- Professional Honors
- Fan Makers Company Prize in Aerodynamics, 1977, Cranfield Institute of Technology
Professional Associations and Activities
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- Adjunct and Graduate Affiliate Faculty, Plymouth State University, NH
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Associate Professorial Lecturer, George Washington University Graduate Program
- Lecturer, Anne Arundel Community College
- Lecturer, Johns Hopkins University
- National Fire Protection Association
- Society of Automotive Engineers
- Subsonic Aerodynamic Testing Association
- Aircraft Drag Reduction
- Combustion and Fire Modeling
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis
- Computer Simulation of Flight
- Marine Gas Turbine Exhaust Diffusers
- Surface Effect Ship Smoke Nuisance